Saw-tooth Grain Beetles
The Not-So-Fun Facts about Bugs and Rodents in Tampa, Florida
At Coby’s Pest Control, we know there are only a few things in life more disgusting than cockroaches. You can have the most immaculate home in the neighborhood, yet these nasty creatures can still infest your home and disrupt your lives, spreading diseases like salmonella, and dysentery, as well as roach dander that can lead to allergies and asthma in your family.
I want to share with you some serious facts about bugs and rodents in Tampa that you may never have heard before.
- Were you aware there are a variety of cockroaches that are prominent in the South?
- Beware of Smokey Brown Cockroaches, and other large species of roaches, because they are attracted to the lights in your house at night, and they fly to doors and windows searching for cracks and crevices by which to infiltrate your home.
- Inspect your grill carefully. Some cockroaches, especially the large Smokey Browns, live inside gas grills where they crawl all over the cooking surface when it cools in order to feed on the grease. Ewwww!
- There are also several species of ants with which to be concerned. Imported Fire Ants are everywhere down here. They infest homes and yards, stinging adults and children, causing painful injuries and, in some cases, death.
- Ants set-up camp in the walls of your house and, in the case of Argentine ants, number in the millions.
- NEVER SPRAY PHAROAH ANTS WITH BUG SPRAY! This causes the colonies to multiply, resulting in
more than one troublesome group to eliminate.
You probably already know that rodents like mice and rats are notorious carriers of rabies and fleas. However, did you know they also transmit diseases like salmonella, hantavirus and lymphocytic choriomeningitis, when humans are exposed to their droppings? They are also known to munch on wiring, which can cause electrical short circuits, which may result in serious fires.
Bedbugs have emerged more prevalently in the last few years, and could very well show up in your home, especially if you travel frequently and stay in hotels.
Here’s a not-so-fun fact: Termites damage more homes in the United States each year than hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods combined!
Silverfish and crickets chew holes and damage books, papers, clothing, upholstery, and other household items. Crickets also leave behind unsanitary droppings wherever they go.
Indian Meal Moths have made me crazy in recent years. They and Saw-tooth Grain Beetles are relentless, infesting bread, cereal, cornmeal, crackers, oatmeal and other grain products in your pantry.
You and your family do not have to fall victim to any of these creepy crawlies or airborne annoyances. If you’ve got a pest problem, or if you have any questions pertaining to bugs and rodents in the Tampa Bay area, call me, Coby McConnell, owner and president of Coby’s Tentless Termite and Pest Control. It will be my pleasure to serve you! 727.462.0400.
PS: And remember…As long as God keep’s makin’em, we’ll keep killin’em!
PSS: Don’t forget to ask about our FREE 58-Point Pest Analysis of your home or office!